View Single Post
Old 11-09-2019, 11:44 AM   #1
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:
Default 30 year anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall

A true symbol of the Cold War between the East and West. Constructed in 1961 after more then 3 million German's fled to the West. Between 1961 and 1989 more then 100,000 German's tried to circumvent the wall, with 5000 making it successfully, 200 people lost their lives in the attempt

Called the Anti-Facist Protection Rampart by GDR officials, and the Wall of Shame by West German Officials it symbolized the paranoia of the East, and the fear of what lay beyond the wall in the West. Thousands of families were separated by this construction of concrete, barbed wires, mines and guard towers.

Following the Berlin Airlift, and the rape of German industries by Stalin, the Wall remains one of the most remembered symbols of the Iron Curtain so aptly described by Winston Churchill.

Stretching over 150 KM's with 186 guard towers and 250 dog runs, it was a massive project built to most importantly to the East prevent the brain drain from the East to the West.

Quote:
Two thousand years ago, the proudest boast was civis romanus sum ["I am a Roman citizen"]. Today, in the world of freedom, the proudest boast is "Ich bin ein Berliner!"... All free men, wherever they may live, are citizens of Berlin, and therefore, as a free man, I take pride in the words "Ich bin ein Berliner!"
- John F Kennedy June 26, 1963

As communism began to crumble with the government in Poland and Hungry dismantling its own wall. And with the Soviet Union facing increasing economic issues due to Ronald Reagan pulling away in the Arms race. The disaster in Afghanistan More moderate elements began to rise in the Soviet Union with the rise of Mikail Gorbachev and the concept of Perestroika and a attempt to thaw the Cold War with the West.

Quote:
We welcome change and openness; for we believe that freedom and security go together, that the advance of human liberty can only strengthen the cause of world peace. There is one sign the Soviets can make that would be unmistakable, that would advance dramatically the cause of freedom and peace. General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization, come here to this gate. Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate. Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this Wall!
- Ronald Reagan - June 27, 1987

On November 9, 1989 Egon Krenz the incoming head of the East German Government decided to allow refugee crossings between the East and West and the opening of the gates and the Standing down of the East German Border Patrol.

As strange as it sounds, one of the most significant events leading up to the fall of the wall was a concert by the Hoff at the wall attended by 500,000 German's on both sides of the wall that featured German's dancing on the wall.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post: