View Single Post
Old 02-24-2016, 02:30 PM   #1127
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
And you think Darryl Sutter came to that conclusion from reading Corsi charts?

Kings are also one of the bigger heavier teams in the NHL.
It's funny because their team make up doesn't really jive with what most advanced stats guys would promote.

They are a team that has good advanced stats results, but they weren't built by compiling a bunch of players with good Corsi on the same team.

It's not that surprising that having the result of being a good Corsi team is going to mean you are a better team overall.

What hasn't been proven yet is that by acquiring a bunch of players with really good advanced stats individually and putting them on a team means they will become a good team.

Personally I like them to help look at underlying factors - i.e. Kris Russell's play but I don't think they are actually very good at translating from team to team and predicting how a player will perform in a different situation. Mark Fayne had great advanced metrics in New Jersey, and has been a tire fire in Edmonton.

Also think they can do a good job at predicting teams that are overachieving, and underachieving, but in the end it has proven to be just as accurate as a team's goal differential in the long run.