View Single Post
Old 02-12-2024, 02:03 PM   #3
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I've never dealt with family death before so I'm a major noob here. My dear aunt passed away last week. She did up one of those generic wills and had me on as executor and all that and I understand that's good enough for alberta but she owns a house which means I have to go through probate. I have received conflicting information regarding the notarization of the will. I have been told that it's not required in Alberta but it's required for probate. When I check online it only says you need an affidavit filled by a witness. Also when I check notary services online they say they don't do wills. I'm sure I could go to a lawyer but I don't want to get raked over the coals here if I don't have to as she has a small estate with no vehicles or assets outside of the house. Anyone have some advice or expertise they may be able to share?
A house is a pretty big asset, dude, and you're going to need a lawyer to close on selling it, anyway. I'd loop them in right now. I sold my mom's house last year while it was still under probate and the lawyer made that easy AF to do.

Also, the realtor said this wasn't something that could be done, but the lawyer made it so easy, so if you are going to sell the house and the realtor says it can't be done until probate clears, just put them in touch with your lawyer who will add a clause to the contract. It seemed simple from my end and meant we didn't have to hold onto an empty house we were paying bills on. I like to rocket through things, though, so waiting would have annoyed me.

But yeah, you hear a lot about how lawyers are so expensive, but when it comes to wills and real estate I've always found them to be very cheap for what they offer. It's not like what I imagine the costs a divorce or some big litigation would involve.

Sorry you lost your aunt, dude. Take care.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post: