View Single Post
Old 03-05-2015, 03:24 PM   #12
Flacker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
The first rule of Hot-Spots, is don't talk about Hot-Spots.

Fishing is absolutely a competition. There are a limited number of fish, days on the water, good hatches etc.

Unfortunately, when some hot-spots get widely divulged, they get hammered and never really recover.

Not everyone practices catch and release, and too many are outright poachers.

The good way to do this is share info privately with people you trust not to tell everyone. If you take another angler to a good spot, they will take you to one of theirs. Keep it secret. Keep it safe.

Some of these holes took a lot of work and research to find, and no one is going to just give away that information.

I think the most fun thing is exploring and finding your own spots. There are countless little streams and lakes on the Eastern Slopes. Usually, the further you go from an access point, the better the fishing will be.

Slava and I found our way to this last summer:
Beautiful cutty, looks like a Livingston or Oldman speciman, best guess.

There are limited fishing locations in Alberta that anyone can't just drive up and fish. Fishing pressure is a real thing, hence the need for secrecy. I would welcome a conservation license on some of the eastern slope streams, similar to the Elk River in southern BC. Elk was over fished and nearly dead until the conservation license was introduced. As a non-resident I will happily pay the $20/day for the pleasure to enjoy an amazing fishery. Stops the folks from just stopping on the side of the highway, and all funds go to conservation efforts.

Zero limit on the upper Oldman is a good start, and I was happy to see, that last summer, they were out enforcing it as well.

Elk River Cutthroat:

Last edited by Flacker; 03-05-2015 at 03:52 PM.
Flacker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flacker For This Useful Post: