View Single Post
Old 07-14-2017, 04:05 PM   #56
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
Regarding the atmosphere, I went to a Shamrock Rovers game in Ireland last week, and it's just a completely different culture around the game. I think this is more of a European vs North America thing in general, but here people react to the play rather than trying to influence it from the stands. Even sitting far away from the supporters, the experience was just completely different than you get at any game in any sport in this city. My wife, who couldn't care less about the sport, was even excited in the game as the game went on as she got caught up in the atmosphere. Having a group of 15-20 supporters trying to get 750 people who look at you like your a bunch of drunken idiots (which to be fair is sometimes true) gets tiring after a while.
Funny you bring this up as I was just comparing the price of a game in Ireland (where I'm from) when posting my previous post. A match at Shelbourne still costs roughly the same (15 euro for an adult) and while the football isn't the greatest, the atmosphere and stadium are a lot, lot better as you pointed out. Granted some of that is down to longevity and a different culture, but I'm not sure how a club would go about obtaining that feeling here.
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote