View Single Post
Old 07-14-2017, 01:30 PM   #55
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron Swift View Post
How come, if you don't mind me asking? Just from following this thread, you seem like the #1 cheerleader for the club. What's changed?

I've been tempted to go to a game here and there, but it's just too expensive for what's on offer. I've seen some highlights videos and to be honest (and a little bit harsh maybe) the quality and location is no better than what I could see in my local park on a Sunday back home. Wanting to check out a game (before shelling out for a season ticket) costs $45 for me, my wife and son before you even get to parking, food, etc.
After 3 years of trying to build a supporters culture from scratch, I think I'm realizing that the interest that was inherently around for the launch is not growing.

For me, the main drawbacks around PDL are lack of any sort of atmosphere outside of what us supporters are trying to bring, a lack of a professionalism from the club and the scheduling itself.

Regarding the atmosphere, I went to a Shamrock Rovers game in Ireland last week, and it's just a completely different culture around the game. I think this is more of a European vs North America thing in general, but here people react to the play rather than trying to influence it from the stands. Even sitting far away from the supporters, the experience was just completely different than you get at any game in any sport in this city. My wife, who couldn't care less about the sport, was even excited in the game as the game went on as she got caught up in the atmosphere. Having a group of 15-20 supporters trying to get 750 people who look at you like your a bunch of drunken idiots (which to be fair is sometimes true) gets tiring after a while.

My issue with the professionalism is largely around what they've slapped together for a venue. The Soccer Centre is just an abomination of a venue, location wise and setup wise. The only positive I can think of are the stands (which are just the three row metal bleachers from inside) are close to the pitch. Everything else, quite frankly, sucks. There wasn't even a scoreboard for the last year and a half until a sponsor donated one. The club had a good thing going at Glenmore with food trucks, Village beer on tap, a grass pitch and a decent set of stands. If the club can get back there next year, I think that will go a long way.

Outside of the venue, there have been a lot of failed promises from the club to the supporters this year. There was supposed to be a marquee friendly that didn't happen. Other exhibition games were cancelled with a day's notice. There was supposed to be a jersey release and tour of the new facility for season ticket holders that never happened. We had watch parties for away games planned where the club couldn't get us a table reserved for game time. We were promised instructions on how to order jerseys online which never came. Those sorts of things.

Regarding the scheduling, the PDL season is so short to begin with, and within that season, games are clustered. For example, there were no home games from August to May. Then 2 in 3 days. Then no games for 6 weeks. Then 4 in 9 days. Then no games for a month. And each two game set is the same opponent, because Foothills has to pay the airfare of visiting teams.

Personally, I think there is some great talent on the team, but off the pitch there is a lot left to be desired. At this point, I'm just biding time waiting for the Canadian Premier League to announce a club in Calgary.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post: