Thread: Shaw Thread
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2021, 12:31 PM   #1125
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Like other have suggested, eliminate as many bottlenecks as possible. Your own router (if applicable), switch, ethernet wall plugs, anything wireless, etc. Hardwire directly to modem, making sure the network card is capable of gigabit speeds.

When I first went to 300 from my old 25 plan a few years ago, I was only getting about 100 or 150. Plenty for what I needed, but not what was promised. Did the whole song and dance with Shaw, I assured them that the issue was Shaw's, and not my hardware. Each time I called I had to start off by saying that I have rebooted my device, I have hardwired to the modem directly using two different devices, I have tried a different cord, etc. etc.

They finally sent a tech who checked some things, re-crimped my coaxial lines in my basement without any improvement. Finally Shaw agreed that the issue was outside of my house. Another day, and a different tech showed up in the alley and snipped the coax in the main connector box, re-crimped it, and voila! 320 download. And it has been consistent ever since. 320/16.

So just keep on them, but do yourself a favour by eliminating everything in between your computer and the modem.

Despite the hassle, I was actually pleased with the service. It took a few calls and a couple of techs, but they solved the problem properly.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote