View Single Post
Old 11-10-2021, 08:59 AM   #2530
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
I think they’re looking pretty hard at green hydrogen as well though.

But yeah, everyone is and should be excited about Grey hydrogen too, it’s still a huge positive step.

Just for everyone’s edification and to keep things as simple as possible for those that may not know (and if I have this wrong and somebody knows better please correct me):
-Grey Hydrogen = the hydrogen molecules are split from CH4 (natural gas) and used as an energy source
-Blue Hydrogen = same as above but the carbon emissions are then stored underground or sequestered
-Green Hydrogen = hydrogen split off of water (I think by electrolysis).
-Ammonia is what hydrogen gets transformed into (by adding Nitrogen) so that you can transport the hydrogen safely (it is basically a bomb if left as pure hydrogen). Once the ammonia reaches location the nitrogen is carved out again.

^^^^ loooooots of companies and research and capital being poured into all of this in Alberta. Like, probably every major company trying to capitalize on this type of stuff because we are so methane rich.
I'm not sure anyone should be excited about grey hydrogen. Even blue hydrogen is a transition step at best. Grey hydrogen may even be worse for greenhouse effect than methane itself
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote