View Single Post
Old 06-24-2020, 09:23 PM   #1
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Player Positions

I know this hasn't been brought up yet but wanted to start a thread so GMs could get a head start if they have extra time on their hands.

I want to help stress the importance of this to GMs, new and old, as it's a very underrated part of the game. The value of your player increases significantly, IMO, if they can play multiple positions. So taking the time to put in some Google work might pay off later.

Here's how I do it. If anyone else has tips, please feel free to share.

Using Schenn as an example. He's a C on most pages but I know that he's played LW and RW before.So, I'll see if I can find a reputable website to link as proof.

I'll Google:
"Brayden Schenn LW"
"Brayden Schenn RW"
"Brayden Schenn LW/RW"
"Brayden Schenn C/LW"
"Brayden Schenn C/RW"
"Brayden Schenn Cap"

I forget the exact list of accepted websites but they will be HockeyDB, TSN, ESPN, NHL, etc etc. Nothing fantasy or pre NHL (no Dailyfaceoff or Eliteprospects, etc). The link has to be a profile link as well - not an article where the 3rd paragraph shows at one point the player played a certain position. The official list of acceptable sources will be posted by the commish team later this summer.

For example: I found a TSN link that lists him as C/RW:: https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/player-bio/brayden-schenn

And this capfriendly link which places him as a C/LW:
https://www.capfriendly.com/players/brayden-schenn

So now he can play all 3 forward positions instead of C only. It takes a good thirty minutes of work but man, having a guy be able to play multiple positions makes them so much easier to trade and MUCH more valuable to your own team if/when injuries happen.

I'm guessing this takes place post-UFA batches. But, if you have the time right now, it would be a great idea to do the research and save those links for when the time comes.
JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote