View Single Post
Old 09-09-2019, 03:16 PM   #42
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
I've had the exact opposite thing happen to me @RBC .

I opened up e-savings accounts for my kids, so when ever they got birthday money or whaterver I would just deposit the money in that account and pocket the $20. This was when they were super small (<5)

So I have an account for my daughter with about $160, it is an e-savings account. and it has maybe a couple of transactions a year all deposits, all less than $100.

One day I log in an the balance of the account is -$9840, A cheque has been drawn on the account, and interest, and overdraft charges are accruing.

I called the bank immediately, and informed them of the error, turns out a teller at the bank issued some dude a teller cheque (the blank ones where you fill out your name and address in the top left) with my kids e-savings account number on it.

When I viewed the cheque image it had a different name in the top left (which re-enforced it was an error and not fraud) and obviously not my signature.

It took almost 6 months to clear up the various interest and overdraft charges that kept popping up which was a pain in the ass.

No one could answer how the cheque managed to clear.
  1. Wrong Name in top left
  2. Wrong Signature
  3. Cheque cashed on a savings account
  4. Uncharacteristic transaction (large sum withdrawl vs slow small deposits)
  5. Overdraft by several orders of magnitude.
I mean every red flag possible and they couldn't figure this out.

Yet I go to Microsoft store and pick up a new laptop, and amex is calling me while I am at the store to figure out if the transaction is legit.

/end rant

Amex is very good at that, one time they called me and asked me did I charged my card at some store somewhere in Mexico. I told them I never went to Mexico, they said they'll stop the payment and issued me a new card.