View Single Post
Old 01-12-2019, 07:56 PM   #14
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

To me, you take Tkachuk’s full cap hit this year. Next year’s cap situation is ugly.

From CapFriendly, it looks like there is approximately 12.5 million to sign the roles with these cap hits:
Tkachuk (RFA) - 925 (excl bonuses)
Bennett (RFA) - 1.9

Hathaway - 850
Prout - 800

Smith - 4.25
Rittich - 800

If Rittich keeps playing like this, then keeping the total G cap hit around 5 is potentially in the cards, with a 1-2 M backup.

Hathaway and Prout are replaced by other cheap contracts

That leaves an incremental 3 M, plus the amount the cap increases for the team, as incremental salary for Bennett and Tkachuk.

Presumably the Flames need to find around 8-9 Million for Tkachuk and Bennett.

That’s what makes Neal’s 5.75 brutal. (Also carrying 1.5 for Brouwer, which freed up one winger slot, which you can argue Neal filled).

Also I don’t like Ryan’s 3.15 for a 32 year old who was coming off a 1 year 1.4 contract. Too much for a 4th liner, even if he does win some draws.

I guess this is why people are talking about the future of guys like Brodie, Hamonic and Frolik. That’s a shame because all 3 are value for money. Any two of the three have cap hits on par with Neal plus Ryan.

Stone also represents 3.5 on the IR which to me, if he is healthy, probably has to be expendable.

Anyways, the Flames have to find money next year, so deferring cap hit doesn’t seem ideal to me.

Last edited by DeluxeMoustache; 01-12-2019 at 08:05 PM.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post: