View Single Post
Old 12-06-2016, 03:10 PM   #621
cofias
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
For sure. Just took a peek at the standings since I haven't checked in a few weeks and I see that they are first in their division.

Last year I really had a hard time following them because I felt they should have been better and I really didn't care for Huska. But seeing management part ways with so many bodies like Arnold, Agostino, and Shore (which at first, seemed like a bad idea to me) and replace them with veterans like Vey, Frattin, and Pribyl has really improved the team and even improved prospects such as Poirer, Klimchuck and Mangiapane. Most years I don't care for AHL vets taking quality ice time from promising prospects, but when I see guys like Jankowski, Mangiapane, Klimchuck and Poirer as productive leaders over Frattin and Lomberg, it tells me something is finally working.

The Flames organization needs this club to go deep this year. I can't remember the last time their farm deep has come close to a Calder Cup, and given that the Flames are always up against the cap, always spending more than they should on free agents, and are in need of players to put them in legit contention, they need these young players to take the next step and there's no bigger step than proving there's nothing else for them in the AHL. They do that by winning the division, conference, or Calder.
Could be worth pointing out that Vey is only 25 and Pribyl is actually younger than any of the other guys you listed as going in or out, at 23. Frattin is 28 but it's not like they brought in a bunch of ancient guys. Pribyl in particular has some potential, more so than Shore, Agostino or Arnold imo.
cofias is offline   Reply With Quote