View Single Post
Old 04-17-2011, 12:11 PM   #86
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
Even if for only a few hours, being stuck like that must really suck!

My daughter is only 12, but she has a real unusual (for gender and age) interest in airplanes, flying, geography, etc. Her favorite TV show is Mayday, I kid not. I'd love for her to maintain that as she gets older. Still pretty young I know, but any tips you can think of to help nurture that along the way? I don't know what the minimum age is to get private license, but I thought that would make an excellent sweet sixteen present.
The overnights are great when we get them, though even 45 minutes in Mexico is nice in the middle of winter, though a bit of a tease .

You've already got some great tips for your daughter from other posts, and the introductory/discovery flight is a great idea. If she does a couple of those the next few years, then she can see if she wants to pursue it more as she gets old enough. Be warned that it is an expensive hobby/career path...a private license these days must be around $10k. There is also a recreation pilot license that is cheaper, but flying overall is not a cheap endeavor.

I enjoy Mayday too, though my wife doesn't like to watch it. A little sensationalized, but still mostly accurate. There is a saying in this business "learn from the mistakes of others, as you won't live long enough to make them all yourself".

If you or your daughter have any more questions feel free to PM me, I still remember well being on the other side of the airport fence when I was young.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryan Coke For This Useful Post: