View Single Post
Old 09-12-2019, 03:15 PM   #80
yourbestfriend
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Yeah, there are some interesting dynamics at play.

It isn't a situation whereby the money is either going to the player, or staying with the organization. In that case, I agree that the player - ALL players - have to fight to get paid as much as they can.

But things are very different in the current NHL. It is a hard cap, and the amount of money that will go to the players is finite, and unchangeable. What that means is the more Marner gets paid, the less every other player makes.

By fighting for huge dollars, and pushing salaries up, Marner (and Tkachuk, and any top-tier star) are essentially taking money out of their team-mates pockets.

And not only that, but they are also making their team less competitive.

I am not saying they are wrong to try and get all they can - hell, that is the only sensible thing for them to do. And they have to assume that any of their team-mates would do the same thing. The problem is that, for the reasons listed above, it is self-defeating. And that's why I have a hard time supporting guys that are holding out for crazy money.

If I am Marner's team-mate, I am kind of pissed. Hard not to think that he is putting himself before the team.
It’s a business for both team AND the player. He might be putting himself before the team in terms of money, but as you stated, that’s what he should be doing. And if everybody is doing that, how can players be mad at other players for something they would do themselves?
He’s also not taking money out of this teammates pockets. Those teammates either sign somewhere who will pay them what they’re worth when they’re UFA’s or if the player is good enough, the team will make changes to ensure they stay.
The business side is definitely ugly and there’s very little loyalty, but that's pro sports. There are tens of millions of dollars on the line and if I or anyone else on this forum were in Marner's shoes, we'd be doing the same thing.
yourbestfriend is offline   Reply With Quote