View Single Post
Old 09-12-2019, 09:05 AM   #1057
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Problem is the GM is negotiating with the agent. And the agent doesn't give a crap about anyone who isn't his client. Agent doesn't care about winning or Cups, just the here and now salary. The guilt trip tactic wouldn't work.

However, you're on the right track that the GM has a clear and concise constraint that everyone knows about and it's public knowledge: he only has x amount of cap to work with. In other words, the pure dollars this year is non-negotiable.

Tkachuk's position on the other hand is negotiable. There's no league wide rule that says a 77 pt RFA coming off his ELC gets paid X dollars.

Its a tough and ugly negotiation and that's why players get agents so they don't hear directly from their bosses about their deficiencies.

True. To a point. But Tkachuk and his agent still communicate.

Johnny, I believe, at some point told his agent to make something happen. And he got a deal done in time for the season start.

Tkachuk’s agent must ask Tkachuk what hill he wants to die on, if he is willing to miss some time, or even a whole season. He also should be sharing the Flames negotiating position.

I have negotiated and have had people negotiating on my behalf. The negotiator needs to articulate to their client the consequence of sticking with a position, and the consequences of exploring other options. Not just stubbornly sticking to a position.