View Single Post
Old 09-12-2019, 08:54 AM   #1054
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
If I’m Tkachuk’s agent, I’m not listening to any talk of the Flames cap situation being part of the negotiation. It is all about establishing market value for the appropriate term. If my house is worth $1 million, and you tell me you can only afford $900K, then I start looking for a buyer with enough money in his pockets.
Yeah if I really like you there might be a small concession, but this is Tkachuk’s career.

I feel fairly certain the difficulty here is agreeing on market value and term, not the Flames cap situation.
How can the cap situation not be a factor? Fact is that if Treliving signs Tkachuk for more than the Flames have , he has to make moves. His other contractual commitments don’t magically vanish.

And find another buyer? That’s the whole point of the R in RFA. There is no easy shopping around for another buyer. (Offer sheet scenario aside, and how many of those do we really see?)

It is a fact that the Flames have a cap constraint, and have other commitments.

If you are Tkachuk’s agent, you stuff your fingers in your ears and say “the cap is your problem, just pay me $x”, Treliving can simply and honestly say “I can’t”

Tkachuk deciding he really wants X dollars doesn’t make X dollars available.