View Single Post
Old 11-06-2018, 08:08 PM   #126
Iggy Snipe
Powerplay Quarterback

Location: Pengrowth Saddledome, Section 222, Row 23, Seat 14/15
Exp:

I like the comparison between Monahan and Iginla. It goes to show how productive Monahan has been, and is a tribute to his goal scoring abilities. He has a knack for the net, and he has been extremely consistent. Iginla and Monahan both share this attribute.

However the biggest difference in my opinion, is when Iginla came into the league, it was still a game for men. There was way more hitting, way more rough stuff, way more clutching and grabbing. Essentially the game was way slower, and goals were hard to come by. He had to fight through a lot to get to the net, let alone get a shot off. The goaltenders were just as good as they are today, but they had bigger, bulkier equipment as well.

Monahan plays in the new NHL era where the League has basically done everything in their power to maximize goal production. (Smaller goalie equipment, more power plays, penalties are called for coughing on another player). Monahan also has one of the most elusive playmakers in the game playing along side him for his entire career minus his first season, and that is huge for getting high scoring chances.

Either way, Monahan is thriving in this league, and I think its amazing that he can even be compared to Iginla for goal scoring abilities.

Other than scoring goals, Iginla and Monahan are polar opposites on how they played the game.
Iggy Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Iggy Snipe For This Useful Post: