View Single Post
Old 09-13-2018, 10:18 AM   #34
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I'm not sure I agree that I want a hockey league attempting to dictate morality to the public or tell the public how "wrong" certain things are. That doesn't seem to me to be its role or something it's particularly well suited to doing. I do think I disagree with Dobbles's position that they shouldn't be punishing for things that are dealt with through law enforcement, though. Of course this is about the league's reputation - they've seen how badly the NFL has come off in this area and have made a conscious decision that they're not going to follow suit. They did it with Voynov and they've done it here. Whether you think the outcome is right or wrong, or whether 27 games is too many or too few, a lot of the motivation for this has to do with protecting the brand.
There is absolutely no reason that any one organization cannot take a stand on a social issue. They are not dictating morals, simply stating their position and letting people know what this particular organization believes to be acceptable. How do you feel about the NHL's "You Can Play" initiative to include LGBTQ peoples? Do you also feel they are dictating morals in that case?

Quite frankly, we could use a lot more corporate responsibility on social issues. Instead of just throwing up their hands and saying "not my business" they can be effective agents for progress and change. They are still made up of people who have hearts and minds. It is not beyond them to create a collective position on a social ill.
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post: