View Single Post
Old 11-23-2017, 11:22 AM   #196
Dentoman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
So why is it dental costs are so much higher in Alberta? I don't understand why costs are higher, if that is the excuse. How is BC able to provide these services for less than half the cost? BC is not typically thought of as a low cost jurisdiction to operate in. I understand no one likes having their profits cut into, but the chart below shows something is out of wack in Alberta.
Spoiler!
The main one is wages. I'm not going to get into actual numbers but the wages for hygienists in Alberta are likely around 20/hr more in Alberta than in BC and Ontario. Alberta has some other unique costs for infection control that don't exist in other provinces. Basically, in Alberta, dental offices are held to a much higher standard for sterilization and infection control than other provinces ... at a significant expense.

As well, the fee guide structure in BC (and possibly elsewhere, just don't have direct knowledge) will have the preventive procedures (cleanings, exams) priced much less to get people in the office, but the restorative procedures (fillings, crowns, etc) would be much more expensive than other provinces. There is some anecdotal evidence that this has led to overtreatment of dental patients in BC.

Dentistry is expensive to receive and deliver, no doubt about it. I urge everyone to have a discussion with their dentist if they have any concerns about this.
Dentoman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dentoman For This Useful Post: