View Single Post
Old 05-13-2015, 01:11 PM   #32
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
I know people had been working on these types of batteries for a while, but this is the first I've heard of someone actually taking something to market.
There are plenty of battery solutions for people trying to live off the grid. Since the density advantage of lithium isn't so critical, they're cheaper as well.

Quote:
Also, yes it is revolutionary for exactly the reasons you stated. It may not be "new", but making it accessible to the masses is most of the battle of clean energy, and this can do exactly that. Just like the iPod, which wasn't new technology, revolutionized how we consume music and entertainment, this could revolutionize the way we consume, produce and trade energy.
There is nothing revolutionary about it; storage of electricity is ultimately dominated by cost, which is why 99% of electricity storage is done by pumped storage and not with chemical storage.

Making it easier for people to use (though debatable given the high voltage it runs on and the need for new inverters) is irrelevant, the hard part is generating and storing enough electricity to go through long periods of low sunlight conditions (i.e. the winter). If a typical household attempted that, they will probably end up dead.
accord1999 is online now   Reply With Quote