View Single Post
Old 10-21-2010, 10:47 AM   #114
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IliketoPuck View Post
I think its a little much that Nenshi winning has been compared to Obama by several of my friends. Yes a visible minority won an election, good for him he ran a good campaign.

My issue with the whole thing is I don't think he is the most qualified candidate for the job, regardless of race or religion. The fact that he was voted in on a wave of social media does more to show how ridiculously reliant our society has become on facebook and twitter to get anything done than any redeeming qualities he has as a mayor. Nenshi has about the same political experience as I do, actually that's not true, he now has 2.5 more days of experience being the Mayor of Calgary than I do.

If we are basing how we pick our leaders simply because of a flashy campaign, and not because of any practical experience needed, then I am going to start a campaign to get myself elected as CEO of Encana. Shouldn't be too hard, all I need is several thousand purple posters to generate some buzz about myself. Even though I don't have the faintest idea how to properly run an oil and gas company, I think that a precedent has been set and I should be given a fair shot at it. Whats the worst that could happen?

Let's not get carried away, a mayor really is just a face, a figure head with one vote just like the alderman. there are a lot of people at city hall who know what they are doing, who any mayor can lean on. Anyone is qualified to run for mayor and be a mayor, you have a lot of resources at your hands

Did you know that the city has a CEO? Why dont you try and get hired as that first.
MelBridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote