View Single Post
Old 10-08-2014, 10:48 AM   #12
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Grouse Mountain is interesting... but it's like being on a trail with everyone around you trying to book it up the hill for no damn reason. Some individuals will tell you it's like Johnston Canyon. They're liars.

Expect to step over stairs and stones up to 2-3 feet high. Most areas on the path past the 1/4 point maybe about 10 inches elevation difference per step. The area up to the 1/4 mark gives you a false sense of "this ain't so bad".

You will enjoy this hike if you're a UBER ATHLETIC, glutton for punishment or you enjoy seeing the suffering of others around you. The top is pretty cool as it gives a great view of Vancouver (dependent on weather). If you want the view in a photo, take the gondola up. It's worth the cost, trust me. Especially if you are hiking up with a whining individual.

DO NOT do this "hike" without at least 1L+ of water per person and snacks. I finished in about 2:10 dragging and pushing my SO kicking and screaming up the hill in about low 20C weather (you're not allowed to go back down, it's dangerous). Everyone claims it's doable in like 1:30, which is probable if you keep a reasonable non-stop pace, but expect 1:45-2:00 of BS instead. And seriously don't do this if you have heart conditions or other problems. If the temps don't kill you, pushing yourself will.

In reality, you do Grouse only if you have something to prove.

I would say the exertion and soreness equals to about 3-4 hours of hockey play. Except you're doing this to yourself in about half that time.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post: