Thread: Shoulder advice
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2019, 08:36 AM   #17
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I have had shoulder issues since I was 16. Subluxxed by right shoulder when I was 16 in gym class, then my left one when I was 21 and working in the field. After both of those, suffered many sublux episodes on both from hockey, snowboarding, and even working more. I did it a couple times sleeping too, and that is by far the worst feeling.

I was convinced I needed surgery, and got 3 different opinions for it. All 3 never made it past the primary assessments and followups, as I was never recommended an MRI for them. All 3 told me that I probably have partially torn rotator cuffs, but both my shoulders could be rehabbed IF i kept up with daily exercises. All 3 times, I started it, and gave up on the physio, only for it to creep up again and sublux again. I wore shoulder braces, monthly massages, etc, but I didn't want to do the work.

Eventually I got T-boned in a bad car crash with my wife 7 years ago, and my shoulders didn't feel hot. My physio then told me the same thing (he was one of the original 3 I saw previously), to get back on the exercises, as I wasn't a good candidate for surgery.
So I stayed with the daily exercises, weekly physio with active release and dry needling (which btw, is bloody terrible). Physio for a full year, plus keeping up with the exercises, and also changing how I sleep, how I play hockey, and basically my mindset when it comes to putting my shoulders in vulnerable positions.

Essentially, I rehabbed my shoulders to a point where I haven't had a sublux episode since. I think every case is different of course. My cousin had similar issues as I, but was told he needed surgery. Granted, he had a full dislocation when he finally was recommend for it.

All the best to your process though. Shoulder issues are terrible.
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote