Thread: Shoulder advice
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2019, 09:17 AM   #1
Guest1

Default Shoulder advice

Long story, will try to make it short... I've had shoulder problems since being a teenager... comes with the territory of being a swimmer Over the past 5-ish years with my getting back into the sport, I have had some issues. The most recent was in November when I subluxed my shoulder (partial dislocation). I have done PT for it going back even before the injury as it had been causing me pain before. So after the Subluxation the Dr sent me for an MRI. Because there is such a wait time, I decided to get one privately.

The findings were: patulous anterior joint capsule that I suspect is secondary to capsular stripping from the scapular periosteum. This is a nonspecific finding but could account for the patients increased anterior translation on clinical exam. However the auxiliary recess is normally contoured with no evidence of tearing of the inferior glenohumeral ligament complex or HAGL lesion.
Normal glenoid labrum. No evidence of Hills Sachs lesion or bony Barnhart to confirm a previous anterior inferior location type injury.
Mild active supraspinatus and infraspinatus tendinopathy. No discreet rotator cuff tear.
So then I go in for my scheduled MRI in December the findings for that one was:

There is a cleft of contrast undercutting the glenoid insertion of the anterior band of the inferior glenohumeral ligament and the axillary capsule consistent with a GAGL injury. Posterior band of the inferior glenohumeral ligament is intact.
No labels tear is identified. No Hills Sachs and no bony Bankhart fracture.
Anterior cartilage is maintained.
Mild articular surface fraying of the supraspinatus tendon. Rotator cuff is otherwise intact.

In the past year it has popped out (and then gone right back in) 4 times. Not a full dislocation, but enough to want to barf and then put me out of commission for a couple of weeks.

When I went in to the sports med doctor in November he said based on the first MRI that the surgeon says he won't do surgery. He says I should try something different.. like water-jogging. It was all I could do to not punch him in the throat. My PT was surprised that they wouldn't do anything.

But all this is Greek to me. I just want to be able to consistently be able to get in the water and swim without having to keep taking weeks off at a time. I'm waiting to get in with someone else for a second opinion. But just thought I would throw this out to the armchair doctors out there or to some people that have had a similar issue and what they have done.