View Single Post
Old 07-12-2018, 10:18 AM   #20
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
Relocation: I actually started fudging my address to try and get my foot in the door (I am using friends' addresses in Calgary and Edmonton) as I was told it's a red flag not to include an address. I've only tried this strategy for the last 2 months, but it hasn't moved the needle yet.

I'm looking to relocate because A) there is absolutely no opportunity for someone in my field in Red Deer and B) I am looking for a fresh start. I have the financial means to make the move, but that diminishes each day I have no money coming in.

Cover Letters: I would consider myself an exceptional writer, but it's become an absolutely exhausting grind to come up with something unique for each cover letter. After you've written as many as I have, you start to notice a pattern of what you're writing. So I've developed a master template and cobble together from that depending on the position.

Problem is, every place I've looked or anyone I have talked to have a different opinion on what a cover letter should be, and it's confusing. Some say a summary of your resume, some say it should talk about you and your fit with the company, some say it should be a personal essay of sorts. Others say it should be all this, but don't make it over 1 page long. Ok? How is that even possible?

Cover letters seem to be the most contentious part of the application. It's infuriating. I just try to look over the skills/qualifications/type they are looking for in the posting and plug in why and how I can meet and exceed those. Frankly, you tend to run out of creative energy around cover letter #80.

Staffing Agencies: I've heard they aren't cheap, but perhaps it's something I need to look into.

Anyone have any recommendations for the folks like me out there?

Staffing agencies don't charge the person looking for work, they charge the employers, the benefit to the employer is that they get a guarantee on the job searcher.

I've found that the ones that do charge are offering things like interview and resume coaching, but tend to be expensive and their results aren't terrific.

I don't know your skill set, at all so its tough to recommend any but general ones.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post: