View Single Post
Old 02-14-2018, 02:50 PM   #48
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

As many have pointed out, mixed doubles has been popular at the world level for some time. The biggest issue in Canada has been that there aren't many events to attend. Many of the recent ones were created just to give the Canadian curlers a chance to get some games in. Virtually anyone that is good enough to do well in Canada at the doubles level is on a team that's competing for the regular Olympic team. The big exceptions are Charley Thomas and Kalynn Park. Although they've both been on competitive four person teams, they've spent a ton of time playing doubles. At the 2015 world mixed doubles championships they won their pool at 8-1, but then lost the semi final game to Sweden and the bronze game to Norway. They were runner up in the 2014 Canadian championships and won the 2015 Canadians.

If Canada wants to grow the doubles game they have to offer tour events and support to the players that want to compete in it. I currently compete on the men's world curling tour. I could be convinced to go onto the doubles circuit. The game is super fun. You're still always going to have the curlers who played on four person teams meeting up and entering after their Olympic dreams have been eliminated. Doubles is still about making shots and missing less than the other team. Although the rules are different, every shot you are attempting is still a curling shot. That's why Lawes and Morris won. They are both tremendous shot makers, sweepers, and strategists. Whether it's doubles or four person, it's still shot making that matters. If you were dominating the doubles tour, you're likely getting an invitation to join a four person team, and then you can do both, schedules permitting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post: