View Single Post
Old 02-20-2018, 01:50 PM   #34
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would have been all for signing Iginla for a 4th line role with PP time, but who do you take out now?

Hathaway provides a lot more speed and jam right now, which is important. Lazar is looking a tonne better with his minutes. Brouwer has looked way better up until he got injured.

So you sit Lazar (most likely at this point).

Brouwer - Stajan - Iginla

I can see teams just passing around those guys all game. Just stay off the boards in the Flames' zone. Their forecheck would be practically non-existent.

There is simply no room for Iginla now. Some argued that there never was, but that's irrelevant now. There is simply no room in the lineup for a slow player, who probably has his timing off. Having to adjust to a new system, new teammates (though I guess he would be playing with Stajan), while trying to get his legs under him and get his game shape back at age 40? I don't see a positive outcome.

Who knows, maybe he shocks everyone and the team he ends up signing to has the space and patience for him, and he ends up completely surprising everyone. I just don't think it would be in Calgary. I would at this point rather recall Jagr who already has some chemistry with a few players, knows the coach and the system, and who was actually productive until his injury happened (though who knows when his concussion heals).

Love Iginla, but there is no room.

The only way I am ok with signing Iginla is for a depth scoring role where he sits and comes in the occasional game (like vs Edmonton). Maybe somewhere in the playoffs he will be ramped-up enough to not be a liability, and may prove to be an asset IF the Flames experience a rash of injuries (knock on wood).

I just don't see him as a guy that would help propel this team into the playoffs, so why bother?
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post: