View Single Post
Old 04-14-2018, 09:13 PM   #32
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I just setup a Schlage Sense and I'm liking it. Installation was as easy as a regular deadbolt (I had to chisel out a bit as the deadbolt couldn't fully extend, just a hair longer than than the existing one I guess, but that's it).

Setup was pretty easy, Bluetooth has pretty good range it seems, everything seems to work fine. I can invite other people to have virtual keys so they can lock/unlock the lock with their phones, or just assign them codes. I tried homekit integration at first and that worked great (I got a notice every time someone locked or unlocked the door), then reset it as I wanted to be able to add Android devices (I think I can still setup the Homekit integration if I want still).

You can get a wifi adapter to be able to get notifications and unlock your door from anywhere, but not sure if I'll get that, it's neat but I don't really see much value for me. Seems hard to find in Canada too.

Codes are easy to setup for other people, you can limit them to certain days or times (i.e. the cleaner's code only works for the day they come from 8am to 5pm or something).

The lock will auto-close the deadbolt after a configurable amount of time, which is nice. There's an alarm you can setup if the door is opened without the deadbolt being unlocked (with a configurable sensitivity), and you can have the lock beep like an alarm system would if you open the door after unlocking it.

Seems very robust, I like that the key is still there if all else fails, and it looks nice and clean.

Though I just realized I should replace the doorknob with a non-locking one now to prevent someone from accidentally locking themselves out or defeating the whole purpose of the thing. Can I just use a normal hallway doorknob? Or I guess a handle set would be better...

And since I had Wieser locks I'd have to replace the walkout and garage locks now if I want the key to match for all the locks. I haven't decided if I'll do that or not, I guess I probably should.

Mini-review done.