View Single Post
Old 01-31-2023, 09:32 AM   #56
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
You can boil every movie down to its basic plot and call everything else an attempt at distraction, though.

I feel like EEAAO has gone from overrated to underrated, there’s a lot of depth to the story and the performances. I don’t see it as all that different a category than a Spike Jonze film or a Michel Gondry film, and both of them have Oscars.
It's nominated for best picture so hard to make a case it's underrated. I'm not saying it's a bad film or anything as there were a few really funny moments but it's a tad too long (to me all the alternative universe flashes start to turn into filler after a while) and it's propped up a lot by Michelle Yeoh who delivers a fantastic performance. I'm glad I watched it but I have no craving to see it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
If Black Panther was nominated for an Oscar, why not Top Gun 2? Plotwise and writing wise, it's about the same level.

Black Panther was as generic as every other super hero origin movie. Protagonist shows their power, gets owned by the main bad guy midway through, goes on personal journey to get stronger, comes back and defeats bad guy. The end.

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed BP, just saying I have no issues with TG2 being nominated either.
Yeah that's another one. It's formulaic Marvel that we have seen countless times before so if they are going to include movies like this, they may as well include the best cinema popcorn flick released in years.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote