View Single Post
Old 01-18-2023, 01:54 PM   #1521
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
I mean, if the only option you want is the dealership support network, then yeah, great outcome I guess. It's not just about DIY, independent shops will also be restricted from performing repairs.

Is this specific to EVs? Not at all (John Deere's already dipped their toe in with farm equipment), but I can see the problem getting worse with the proliferation of EVs.

Anyone who has watched Louis Rossman on YouTube talk about Right to Repair understands the problem, and there is a very clear parallel between companies like Apple locking people out of getting replacement components or tying replacement components to device serial numbers, and the direction the automotive industry is going.

The cost of replacing a Model 3 battery, for example, is ~$16k USD and it must be purchased from Tesla. Search the web looking for replacement Tesla batteries and you can get plenty of used cells from wrecked Teslas, but you'll not find a brand new replacement anywhere... you have to go to Tesla for that. That hypothetical 1997 Corolla you mentioned could be virtually rebuilt using third-party components, down to the ECU itself.

Planned obsolescence and e-waste has been a growing problem for consumer electronics for a while, and as cars more closely resemble consumer electronics in their manufacturing, expect that to become an issue for the automotive industry too.

Now, I don't think the majority of people can afford to turn-over their cars the way they turn-over phones. Admittedly, I used to flip cars every 3-4 years, but I can't justify it anymore. But the cost to keep cars going if battery costs don't come WAY down and parts are not made available is going to put a lot of cars in the scrapyard well before their time.
Lots of people with new cars can't afford them as it is...predatory lending practices make it happen though.

"hey want a new car at the same payment? come on down we will even give you an extra 20k to spend on xmas presents"

You are going to owe money for the rest of your life but hey here is a shiny new depreciating asset for the same payment you have already been paying every month of your adult life!

Might be the wrong thread for this but EV and EV tech certainly seems more disposable to me

Last edited by dino7c; 01-18-2023 at 02:00 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote