View Single Post
Old 11-11-2022, 01:53 PM   #224
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
I have pretty much no idea what any of you are talking about...

I think I should just comp flights to Chicago and have one of you experts set something up for me...
TL;DR - Buy two of these HD modems or a version with the two mesh points. Hook one up to the modem, the others further in the house to help reduce dead spots via improved signal strength/repeating. Get a third if required. Then basically forget it.

https://store.amplifi.com/products/a...hd-mesh-router
https://store.amplifi.com/products/a...gamers-edition
===========

Longer explanation.

I personally would recommend multiple of the AmpliFi HD routers vs the mesh points. If you can connect the other routers (set as a mesh/access point), then the connection is more stable further away from the primary one. Plus, they're easier to sell than the mesh points if you realize you don't need them. I used this set up for around 5 years and was pretty happy with it. I just wanted even more omega power and less dead spots and ridonkulous higher signal strength, so I upgraded to a ridiculous option instead of just going with 3 AmpliFi HD. My parents are using my Amplifi HD now and they are blown away by the performance of the Amplifi HD vs the Deco mesh I had given them before. They're technologically dumb but could still notice the significant difference in signal strength.

---------------------

Step 1: give a short explanation of the space you need done
Step 2: define budget and technical expertise
Step 3: Request a list of hardware to acquire
Step 4: Procure hardware
Step 5: Youtube how to install hardware
Step 6: If the set up doesn't work, you had an error in step 2 which should have revised step 3 for a more dummy friendly set up.

In most cases, it's perhaps the difference between a Ubiquiti dream machine pro + access points and other gear for around $500-1.5K vs just buying AmpliFi (or equivalent) easy/advanced mesh systems for $200-800.

Mesh systems are ultra easy, but the cheap ones it seems you have to replace every 2-3 years (ie: Deco) due to slowness, issues and failure.

A more expensive mesh system is more easily scalable, but should also last longer and have better performance (Amplifi) I have several that are 5+ years and still going strong while still outperforming entry level mesh stuff.

The higher end stuff is just straight up stupid and unnecessary. It's perfect for some form of measure of self worth and easily last longer than any other option (ie: decade?) while offering a slew of self-deceit that makes you feel better.

The UDM systems we're talking about in this thread is overkill for many small businesses and we're installing these at home for entertainment reasons.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post: