View Single Post
Old 10-19-2022, 12:29 AM   #18
jar_e
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
I am a couple of days into using Airalo in Ireland (stopover) and Scotland. So far so good. I installed the eSim before I left, and when I landed in Dublin I flipped it on. It took a little while to activate on the network for the first time, but it has been good since.

For those having iMessage issues, when you install the new sim, it asks you three questions: default line for voice and SMS (leave as your Canadian one, but don’t answer calls or send texts because we get gouged), which number to use for iMessage and FaceTime, and which one to use for mobile data (Airalo, obviously).

The second question about iMessage/FaceTime: Is it possible that you chose Airalo for that? Since Airalo actually has no number attached to it, you may have de-registered your own number for iMessage and FaceTime. The way I understood it was that you should keep your Canadian number for that as that’s more of an identifier/registration for iMessage and not how the data actually gets sent.

I left iMessage as my Canadian number, and I have been happily iMessaging here over mobile data (which is Airalo, obviously).

So far so good. I’ll update this thread with any issues. Until then, scotch awaits.
FYI, for your first part, I did this for the first day and still got dinged for a Rogers Roaming fee and switched everything to AirAlo.

Maybe I’m misunderstanding what you’re saying but I had zero success not getting dinged with roaming and keeping my 403 number as the iMessage number. This article from AirAlo also states that you will need to uncheck your number too for send/receive.

https://www.airalo.com/help/troubles...i-use-imessage

I was able to FaceTime simply with my email FWIW.
jar_e is offline   Reply With Quote