View Single Post
Old 06-22-2020, 12:37 PM   #4
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I don't think the intent so for the average homeowner, it's for people without access to high speed. And for that reason, I assume ti will be roe expensive. I don't think they'll have the bandwidth to offer it to everyone who wants it. I also don't see any black market gear working, they are going have this locked down.
From a revenue perspective, they need to launch it ASAP, and get as many customers possible using it and paying each month. Right now they are dumping tons of money into it with little return, so they need to get some ROI going.

Each launch of 60 satellites is supposed to be able to provide enough bandwidth for another 40,000 customers?

From a Canadian perspective, if you live in the city or most average sized towns, the internet is actually very good. But once you get into rural areas, the internet options are terrible, and tend to be expensive. There are approximately 6 million Canadians living in rural areas, so that is a massive customer base to target.

Not sure what the average price is for rural internet, but I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't around $100 per month. That is a potential $300 million per month in revenue if just HALF the people living in rural Canada sign up.

Obviously signing up business customers would be the target, however from what I understand the connection process will be the same regardless of whether you are a business customer or whatever you are a homeowner.

The potential is unreal though. As a WISP you could easily put a Starlink dish on a tower, connect sector antennas and setup a fixed wireless option for rural customers. But then again, why wouldn't Starlink just do that?
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote