View Single Post
Old 09-29-2021, 08:41 PM   #37
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
So I have a meeting scheduled with a financial planner (or wealth management or whatever they're calling it) to talk about an investment / retirement strategy. I'm making enough now that it makes good sense for me to start shuffling some of it into an RRSP to defer some taxes, and I figure there may be some other opportunities I might want to avail myself of that will pay off down the line.

What would people suggest I read to educate myself before I go into that meeting?

EDIT: On the wills stuff, I will just anecdotally say that I don't understand why other lawyers even do it. People want a will done for under $1K and the absolute time bomb of professional liability that can accompany it if anything goes wrong just doesn't make any sense to me.
Well you should be asking questions about how the money is managed, how they’re paid, their independence and professional credentials. I would ask about services such as financial planning and estate planning if those are topics that you’re interested in as well.

I think it’s good to know how often they want to meet, typically, how many clients they have and whether they have a team of people or it’s just them alone.

If it was me, I’d ask whether they’re a fiduciary as well. Most people would assume that advisors have to put their clients interests ahead of their own, but unless they’re a Portfolio Manager, that’s not a requirement. That would be something very important in my opinion.