View Single Post
Old 08-12-2020, 08:15 AM   #56
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

There have been 13 games that have gone more than 3 OT periods. Five of those were elimination games. I'm not sure we need to throw a completely radical rule into the mix for something that has happened 8 times in the last 88 years. It's like when the emergency goalie went in for Carolina and there was panic that they should alter the rule for a situation that has only happened once in the history of the NHL. These are both overreactions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
The idea that the puck over the glass gets a penalty and icing just gets a faceoff always struck me as asinine, they are two variations of the same thing, making it a faceoff like icing but giving the refs discretion to call a 2 minute if they think it is deliberate always struck me as the answer, mind you I'd also let the refs call a deliberate icing
What part of the NHL referees decision making process and history has proven to you that they are able to make the correct call every time? We see time and time again missed calls, bad calls, no calls, and even with video review they make the wrong call. Currently they have discretion on whether the player was using a kicking motion to put the puck in the net. Even when it looks crystal clear, they have gone the other way. If you give them the discretion to penalize if they feel it's deliberate, you'll see it being officiated differently between different officials, and even in the same game. By making the rule cut and dried, you are giving a level playing field. If not, every single time the puck goes over the glass the player will argue it wasn't deliberate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote