View Single Post
Old 07-07-2018, 12:53 PM   #568
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
There's law requirement behind how long you can drive. Do you mean the mandated drive time is too long, or are you suggesting most truckers break the law? If you're suggesting the latter I'd strongly disagree.

It happens but it's not common at all, the stakes are too high for fudging or ignoring log books. And certainly in this case if they found he was over hours or manipulated his log book it would be the most prominent piece of information released.
C'mon, really? Drivers run two log books ALL the TIME! You're either ignorant or naive. This is especially true for small companies who want to compete. When I managed a concrete company in Edmonton, Carrier Services conducted a surprise investigation and went through time sheets. The company got fined for several drivers found in non-compliance of Hours of Service (HOS). It was concrete, so commercial work in the day, residential pours when people got home from work, then civil work (ie bridges) at night. Drivers wanted juicy paychecks and accepted it, but at the same time complained about the excessive hours.

And then I managed a Boom Truck company. Drivers would knowingly fudge their books, call the payroll lady to ensure they're not shorted hours, and ask her to make adjustments on their timesheets, thereby pawning off responsibility. If the payroll lady complained, the owner of the company informed her that it was needed to compete in a tough market and if they didn't offer timely service, layoffs could happen. So, guess what happened? Nothing. This practice went on for years.

That was over 5 years ago. Since then I know of two other major organizations that I've worked for who failed an NSC audit.

You have zero idea what you're talking about. Scales can be avoided. Roadside inspection blitzes hit the radio and every trucker is aware of them within hours. And you could literally look up a list of 3rd party NSC auditors and call them to find out how many carriers fail basic HOS regulations if you don't believe me. Call Carrier Services and ask them about investigation findings and statistics. The struggle is real.
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MarkGio For This Useful Post: