View Single Post
Old 07-02-2017, 01:13 PM   #214
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Iginla is a player that I have immeasurable respect for, and while its neat to think of that Disney type story of him coming back and winning the cup with Calgary, I just don't think he has much left. Even late last year when he had some good scraps and scored some goals for the Kings I still found he couldn't really make things happen enough on a shift by shift basis. I started to carefully watch his game and put my Iginla fan aside to see what he's doing on the ice. His game now is almost entirely positional (not always in the best position anymore) and of course he'll get a few goals -- he's one of the best sniper's the game has ever seen. But he's not a player that goes out and drives the play at all. Even depth players these days I think have to be able to drive the play in ways.

Perhaps he has more left in the tank and will prove everyone wrong -- I hope he does. But I am starting to think it really is close to over for him. Great player, great career, Flames legend. But everyone has a shelf life, I think Iginla might have reached his. Even if he retired today I wouldn't have any less respect for the player he was. He doesn't have a lot more to prove. I would really hate to see him come back and become a whipping boy. There are already delusional fans who harbour resentment towards him for whatever reason. I prefer to just remember Iginla as the most dominant player to ever wear the jersey.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994

Last edited by Igottago; 07-02-2017 at 01:15 PM.