View Single Post
Old 11-25-2019, 11:10 AM   #149
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
No ####. But land, copper, stations, and a tie in to the grid to the tune of MW power doesn't come free . You think that's a good investment opportunity, and if so at what fee.....20-30 spots at $2-5/hr? I guess we can count on you guys to step up and build these seemingly cost neutral endeavors. EV supporters in here talking about home charging like its going to wipe out or negate roadside charging, when you have THOUSANDS of cars going down the highway, more than a few need to stop for fuel....tying up 20-30 spots for 30min-1hr is just inefficient. You want more than that, well I think the math was done already to what the load would be like, good luck finding the supply
What makes you think they would only charge $2-5 an hour for DC fast charging? In BC, Level 3 chargers are usually $0.35 per kw/hr which works out to almost $20/hr per station with a 50kw charger and more like $50-60 an hour with a 150kw one.

50KW Level 3 stations are about $100K each all in (about $50K for the unit/installation + $50K in other capital costs) but that can be cheaper if you have a large cluster of them. Running costs are quite low (about $1-1.5K a year for maintenance and network operator fees from what I understand), so assuming a 10 year time frame you're looking at about $11-12K a year. After electricity costs, and let's say they're netting $0.25 per kw. So to hit $12K a year they'd need to sell 48,000 kw, which translates to about 2.5 hrs a day of charging at each station.

So not really viable right now given current usage, but if it gets to the point where there are long waits for chargers and a consistent demand? I don't see why they couldn't make economic sense, or at least be revenue neutral if government or public utilities wanted to take them on (BC Hydro is doing this in BC).
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post: