View Single Post
Old 11-27-2020, 10:13 AM   #58
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Even carbon steel, though. The pans you linked to are pretty reasonable, but then there's this sort of thing... https://knifewear.com/products/west-...13653254504496

... Yeah, I'm sure that's a great frying pan. Why is it $300? I totally get it where knives are concerned. There is an obvious practical benefit even aside from the looks and craftsmanship and cool factor that drive up the price on a handmade knife. But I just do not get it where pans are concerned.
Not only is it $300, which is completely outrageous for carbon steel (even the very best and highly rated carbon steel pans run at maybe $80-$100 tops for a 24cm) but the description also says you can't season it on an electric glasstop...

Sure, the oven is the best method (for a initial pass of the entire pan, at least) but I've seasoned a de Buyer on a glasstop, which for the same size is literally 20% of the price.... and it's turned out beautifully.

That's definitely the case of buying it "because it's from Japan!" and literally nothing else. What a waste of money.

...also de Buyer Mineral B pans are on sale at the Bay right now, which is dope.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote