View Single Post
Old 11-26-2020, 05:52 PM   #51
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Carbon steel has many of the very same benefits as cast iron! But it’s way lighter! Convert! Convert!

But cast iron is also fantastic and also lasts forever.
I'm a late arrival to this thread, and I have to take issue with this. You need at least a couple of both. Cast iron just holds onto a consistent heat better than carbon steel does. Carbon steel heats faster and is good for cooking at high heat, but owning both of them, I still use cast iron more. This is slightly influenced by the fact that I'm on induction rather than gas, but I think it still holds true regardless of fuel.

Now for the real question: why is it necessary for anyone to buy anything not made by Lodge?

I'm serious. Maybe I'm a philistine on this and I don't know it, but I've tried more expensive stuff and I don't get it. Granted, I haven't tried the absolute most expensive stuff (aside from some very expensive enamel, which, again, was not in any noticeable way any better than Lodge enamel).

Where is the incremental benefit to justify spending more?
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote