Old 12-02-2022, 09:59 AM   #7988
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
Jumping into this fray again I guess.

Will the progressive contingent at least admit that a railroad strike would hurt a lot of people rich and poor? If you don't believe that, then I guess I can see why a strike is ok, but I think it is pretty established that it would.

Is your preference to allow a strike that could drag on for a while, or do you have a different solution in mind? I've only seen extend the cooling off period as a possible solution? They've already been through a few deadlines, what would kicking the can down the road do except bring this to a head at a later time?

I've worked at places throughout my life with no sick time, with unlimited sick days, with a defined number of sick days, and where they ditched sick days and added a week to vacation and called it PTO. Personally, I preferred the last option. Everywhere I worked with discrete sick days always had problems with some people abusing them also with managers wrongly assuming or accusing people of abusing them. Where I work now, doesn't sound much different than the railroad workers. I get fairly generous PTO, but know that I have to save some of those in case of sickness or other expected illness. And we have short term disability that kicks in if we're out for more than I think 4 days. It seems disingenuous for the union to accept that vacation and sick days were rolled into PTO, and then claim they have to take vacation days if they're sick.

If it is as the mediation board said, that they should be entitled to use 10 of their pto days as single days off without notice, is that unacceptable? Or is going back to discrete sick days the only acceptable answer? If they take a week back off of PTO to give them sick days is that going to make everyone happy? I'd imagine a lot of workers wouldn't want that.
If you think getting people to admit that railroad strikes would make life harder for people is a win, then you’re not even in the same conversation as anyone else. Yes, strikes suck for the employer, the employee, and the people who depend on that business. This is universally understood.

Can you admit that strong workers’ rights disproportionately benefit the poor and middle class and that unions exist to protect these rights?

How, in your mind, do you measure an industry that has massively increased profits over the last two years on the back of worsening working conditions and a 30% staffing reduction (made people unemployed) that is refusing to let workers use a sick day without notice, against workers actually on the ground providing an essential service, and come out with the belief that the workers are the bad guys?

Pretending to care about the unnamed poor people who would be impacted by a rail strike while caring more about giant corporations shelling out billions to their shareholders than tens of thousands of newly unemployed and over 100k workers who can’t even call in sick is interesting, but I disagree with your priorities entirely.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post: