View Single Post
Old 11-30-2022, 10:05 PM   #7948
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
How are worker’s rights being incrementally improved by the government forcing mediation?
Many workers will lose their jobs if there is a long, vast railroad strike. 6% of private workers in the US are unionized, and forcing a settlement will erode their leverage somewhat, especially if they support critical infrastructure. The vast majority non-unionized workers lives will be better off if the trains keep running.

Quote:
Your opinion about progressive platforms is fine for you to have, but it’s my opinion that “hold the line at all cost” centrist types are naive and toothless. You’re losing the line because you don’t actually have any values you care about and don’t do anything but naysay everyone that isn’t holding up the status quo. This is true of a lot of the lazy centrists I know and it’s true from the posts of yours I have seen. I could name a single thing you actually support aside from “Democrats.”. Don’t like Republicans, don’t like progressives, would vote for a murderer so long as they kept things exactly as they are. You believe your version of centrism to be the balance between things, and that version exists, but it’s not yours. Yours is the version devoid of anything. It’s the empty space in between. You say you care about poor people and those people making less than $100k but I’ve also seen you argue about against multiple policies designed specifically to help those people, so you don’t really care, right? It’s ok to be honest.

Try to worry less about “rational” and more about figuring out what you actually value, like I said. It makes it easier to fight for the greater good when you have some idea of what that good actually is.
Off the top of my head, things that are important to me that are current political topics:
Abortion rights, environment issues, lbgqt+ rights, racial issues, improved medical coverage and access, education, increased min wage and other programs for working poor, a thriving and sustainable economy.

Where a progressive says a $15 min wage across the board for everyone, or nothing, I'd lobby for a geographically adjusted min wage that helped as many or more people but didn't have as many pitfalls. The latter may have been viable to pass, but the insistence on the former got nothing done.

There are Bernie or else Progressives that enabled a Trump victory due to either going to Trump or not voting, thinking that there was no difference to their lives between having Trump or Hillary as president. That directly led to objectively worse conditions for at least the first 5 things I listed.

M4A or nothing has impeded the ability of the current government to incrementally improve healthcare by further subsidizing Obamacare and offering a public option. So that is another area that sticking to an all or nothing has hurt incremental improvement.

There was a big stink from the progressive side and others when Pelosi resisted supporting another round of $1000 checks with the trade off being eliminating the EIC. Most anyone who isn't a working, poor single mom had no idea with the eic was. But the deal she resisted was taking away a program that gives low earning workers with dependents thousands a year. The vast majority of those are single working moms. She was called all sorts of names from the hard left for standing that ground, but that group didn't even stop to realize they were willing to sacrifice thousands of dollars per year to poor, working mothers in the name of a one time check to everyone. So where are the progressives values there?

I get that there should be limitations on private corporations and executive compensation and am in favor of a lot of those things. But, I think that progressives are way to quick to write off anything that helps them thrive as some Corporate bogeyman paying them off. A healthy environment for corporations to thrive (with appropriate guard rails) is good for the majority of the people. I take issue with anyone thinking I'm some kind of bootlicker or shill or whatever for thinking that way. If a progressive is of mind to completely dismantle capitalism, then fair enough. I'm not going along with that, but if we are going to have capitalism, then there is value for the corporations in your country thriving.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post: