View Single Post
Old 08-12-2021, 12:02 PM   #2246
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
I'm sorry, I'm not clear what you're getting at here. Are you wanting specific policy changes that have resulted from people marching?
For starters yes, and even more specifically I want to know exactly what will be done to reduce our carbon footprint.
Quote:
Because that's a question that simply can't be answered and you know that. If you want me to link one change to Greta's advocacy I'm not going to have that conversation because it's an extremely silly argument.
Honestly don't know what you're getting at here. I've read a fair bit of her advocacy and I'm not against it in spirit, but it doesn't actually do anything. That's the problem, talking about it, marching, demanding change is all hot air it doesn't do a damn thing. How do I know? Because history, this current government when elected said they have a plan to fight climate change. Since then, nothing has changed. We buy the same stuff, use the same amount of energy from the same sources. Canada's carbon footprint is basically the same as 6 years ago.

You don't see any of this as concerning? Posturing, finger pointing etc. doesn't solve a thing.
Quote:
But public pressure forces change. We're already seeing some of that change in the corporate world and in government policy. It's impossible to put any one change to the advocacy of one person. But change is afoot and I could list a thousand different things that have happened over the last year, but you can easily Google that yourself
"google it"

Thanks that is very helpful. I have, many times. I think about this stuff all the time. I want desperately to move past the posturing stage and see substantial progress.
Quote:
You're so so so so close. We all buy the corporate products. So how do we change that? Hmm... Tough nut to crack.

Maybe we'll all just come to that realization on our own! Sure would be faster if someone could, I don't know, advocate for that? Hmm. Maybe some policy decisions could speed that up? Though the public would have to support it to make it political feasible. Maybe that would work if someone could advocate for that!
Like WHAT? Why is this such a hard question.
Quote:
I don't want to edit or delete the previous posts, because they stand on their own as far as the points I'm trying to make, but I shouldn't have that tone and I apologize. That's not fair.
I'm not offended no need to apologize, not to me anyway.
Quote:
So when I hear fatalistic arguments like "no one wants to change", or "activist x is a hypocrite", it gets my blood boiling because it's trying to change the subject. If we need the change for my children to have any sort of world worthy living in, I don't care about anything except the message and that it's getting people to want change. I don't care if they burnt coal to get to the podium.
I completely disagree. Pointing out the hypocrisy is critically important in my view. If someone with vast wealth and influence can't live with a greatly reduced carbon footprint how can the average person? New technology is always expensive, the masses can't afford to drastically reduce their carbon output.

Last edited by zamler; 08-12-2021 at 12:10 PM.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote