View Single Post
Old 07-11-2018, 09:09 AM   #35
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
I think you have it the other way around.

The roster was adequate. It was a passable team that SHOULD have been in the playoff mix right until the last day of the year.
While they didn't make it till the last day of the year, they were in the mix right up to the point where they lost Smith. If Smith had not gone down and 2 inadequate backups came in I think they would have been in the mix to the end, probably mid 90 points. Adding a Neal and Lindholm would have been a major difference as GG's system seemed to be fine with skilled players, it was just havoc with average players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
The coaching staff didn't get enough out of the roster, especially when the games mattered.

Or maybe we're both wrong and both the roster and coaching staff were adequate, but being merely adequate doesn't get you to the dance. My junior high days told me as much.
I think this point is what the Flames have been for the past two years. Adequate roster, adequate coach, bubble mid-90s team (had Smith not got injured).

That being said GG was never going to be the guy to get this team over the hump. He was able to bring structure and system to a team that had been playing run and gun under Hartley. He lacked the ability of a head coach to inspire the team as can be seen by the multiple collapses after a goal, and he was sub-par at managing the bench during the game. He was adequate. A good coach would have gotten more out of the roster, and he would have been more successful with a better roster.

Tre made the right moves, he elevated the team from adequate to what I consider good, and hired a coach who he feels will be better than GG. Good roster and adequate coach should get the team to around 100 points, The goal is obviously higher and changes to both needed to be made. I don't think this makes GG as much as a disaster as he is made out to be, but he was never the guy to elevate a team.
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
belsarius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to belsarius For This Useful Post: