View Single Post
Old 07-10-2018, 08:10 PM   #22
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
IMO GG was an adequate coach.

GG was adequate. The roster assembled for him was not adequate. You put an adequate coach with an adequate roster and you get first and second round playoff appearances.

Last year the Flames were an inadequate roster with an adequate coach. They've since updated the roster significantly and hopefully the coaching as well.

I think interpersonal dynamics play a bigger role in whether a coach stays or goes than say, wins and losses, and I don't think those dynamics within the organization were right.

I don't think Flames management liked GG much outside of Tre, he certainly did not seem to receive a ton of backing from the team.

One hopes the Flames upgraded their coaching staff but until the games are played that's really all it is. It's not like the Flames brought in Toe Blake here, just another guy from a losing organization with a recent history of coaching a team that didn't perform up to playoff calibre. I'm not going to write him off, he seems like a talented coach. Hopefully this year the roster is tuned finely enough that he'll have some success that eluded him during his tenure in Carolina, buuuuut:

If the team falters next year it will be difficult to blame it on the roster the way things stand now.
Your opinion is against the grain of a lot of fans including the Flames GM. Even the author of this article admitted he would have picked the Flames even if they didn't make any moves so he like many of us quite liked that roster. My finger points squarely at a nice guy that's simply in over his head as an NHL head coach. This my opinion before his was hired by the Flames and he did nothing to change that in his time here that included more puzzling decisions than any Flames head coach in recent history. There's a reason the rest of the league has little interests in him as a head coach and Treliving simply found out the hard way firing him only two seasons into the job.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post: