View Single Post
Old 07-10-2018, 07:39 PM   #19
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
You can't seriously look at the last two seasons and not consider coaching to be at least ONE of the issues with this team. You've been banging the drum about not enough skill at forward, and obviously the GM agreed with you. He also evaluated the coaching to be less than satisfactory and fired the entire group. If he evaluated one area to be deficient, surely he understood the other to be deficient equally as well, yes?
IMO GG was an adequate coach.

GG was adequate. The roster assembled for him was not adequate. You put an adequate coach with an adequate roster and you get first and second round playoff appearances.

Last year the Flames were an inadequate roster with an adequate coach. They've since updated the roster significantly and hopefully the coaching as well.

I think interpersonal dynamics play a bigger role in whether a coach stays or goes than say, wins and losses, and I don't think those dynamics within the organization were right.

I don't think Flames management liked GG much outside of Tre, he certainly did not seem to receive a ton of backing from the team.

One hopes the Flames upgraded their coaching staff but until the games are played that's really all it is. It's not like the Flames brought in Toe Blake here, just another guy from a losing organization with a recent history of coaching a team that didn't perform up to playoff calibre. I'm not going to write him off, he seems like a talented coach. Hopefully this year the roster is tuned finely enough that he'll have some success that eluded him during his tenure in Carolina, buuuuut:

If the team falters next year it will be difficult to blame it on the roster the way things stand now.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote