Thread: #Retire14
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2018, 12:51 PM   #51
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
It's not going to happen. Yes, yes, yes... by career achievements he should both have his number retired (none of that "Forever a Flame" malarkey) and be in the Hall of Fame... but Theo never crossed a bridge that he didn't think would look great on fire.
I am quoting this post because I think this probably encapsulates best why Fleury's relationship with the Flames remains strained. At this point, it is less to do about his career achievements and his significance for the franchise during a period of dire recollection, and it is more about his own personal decorum and the value of his relationships with the gatekeepers.

Rightly or wrongly, propriety matters in these situations, and there is a considerable amount of noise about Fleury's demeanour and interactions when out of the public eye to suggest that he may not be endearing himself to the right people and under the best circumstances. I don't have a problem with that. Jersey retirement is an ultra selective honour that extends well beyond on-ice accomplishments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post: