View Single Post
Old 10-09-2019, 09:49 AM   #9
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I think that happens in the restaurant business. I worked at a couple of restaurants and got screwed out of wages regularly and the restaurants were owned by my father lol.
I think Earl's really mastered that model on a larger scale though. They got away with it initially, because it was a fun social atmosphere. Then they started taking away the fun aspects of the work. They took away our discounts. We received 50% off up to $10 (which is garbage as no decent menu items were under $10 at the time). They banned all back of house people from being in the restaurant in uniform. They stopped allowing us to be in the restaurant after or around closing.

I worked in several restaurants, and I never heard of them not giving the kitchen workers either free or heavily discounted food/drinks. These people work for barely much more than minimum wage.

Some of this may have been particular to my specific location, and there is a reason that location had a lot of difficulty finding staff....which also made things worse for the existing staff, as the restaurant was always short staffed.

I do know the general attitude towards profitability was coming from the top down. They basically had middle management staff - who weren't qualified in any way - who's job it was to squeeze profits out of the restaurant.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote