View Single Post
Old 08-14-2012, 07:27 AM   #210
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Coke View Post
Bigtime, what is wrong with the current runways? Don't know what you are referring to.
Don't believe I said anything was wrong with the current runways. Just like you were saying I was making mention of the fact that during peak times they are running at 100% capacity.

Of course you have to wait an extra year to get the benefit of the parallels, as the plan is to shut down 16R/34L for a year to upgrade it. I think they want to make it pretty much identical to the new runway, and get some re-paving and such done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psicodude View Post
According to this article, Epoch Times Article, passenger traffic has increased 60% in the last 6 years alone and they are merely trying to keep up with short term demand. I recall reading somewhere that the 12.5 million passengers it served last year is pretty much 100% capacity for the current airport and they are trying very hard to land some direct flights to Asia.

My personal opinion is that Westjet is really pushing this. Once their regional service takes off, Calgary will become more of a Hub type airport and will need to be able to handle tons of prairie folks going to Florida and Mexico.
We do have a non-stop to Asia, Air Canada is operating YYC-Tokyo Narita. They have been growing the route and are now operating it year round. The real question will be if we could support another Asian destination. In the past Korean has operated a few charter flights here in the summer, and the last time around (in 2010) they made those flights bookable to anyone. Perhaps this gave them a little test of the potential demand for a YYC-Seoul regular service. There was also mention that the Alberta delegation met with Korean in London during the Olympics to talk about air access between the two.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote