View Single Post
Old 08-13-2012, 10:20 PM   #209
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
I wouldn't say that there was no need for expansion. For a while, the airport had planned a large expansion of the existing b/c pier for a while. That area definately is in need of upgrading, to bring it up to a level similar to the other piers. I think the airport is just building 20-30 years of expansion all at once. Is that better or worse than incremental expansion? That I can't answer, but they would definitely spend more money building the same thing incrementally over 20 years than building it all at once.
According to this article, Epoch Times Article, passenger traffic has increased 60% in the last 6 years alone and they are merely trying to keep up with short term demand. I recall reading somewhere that the 12.5 million passengers it served last year is pretty much 100% capacity for the current airport and they are trying very hard to land some direct flights to Asia.

My personal opinion is that Westjet is really pushing this. Once their regional service takes off, Calgary will become more of a Hub type airport and will need to be able to handle tons of prairie folks going to Florida and Mexico.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote